Tuesday, October 22, 2013

At the very beginning of the journey

Many people start PhD with absolutely no clue. Some people continue their Masters to the PhD, which makes their journey quite easy. I on the other hand have a title.

"Incorporating data assimilation in numerically predicting sea ice to assist navigation in the Arctic Ocean"

Having a title is a good thing, because during the first year of PhD many students are killing themselves to come-up with a suitable title. However during my entrance exam one professor was showing his doubts towards the novelty of my research. Data assimilation is not a new concept, however applying it in to modeling sea ice might be the novelty of my work.

During my masters I worked on Computational Fluid dynamics. My main application was airplanes. Therefore I believe I have some skills in CFD in aerodynamics. However for my PhD my application changed to ocean modeling, I find it very interesting since the results are more visible and I can get a feel of what I'm doing.

Writing this I believe would help me to keep a track on what I'm doing. I'm planning to update this at least once a week. I was hoping to do the same for masters but honestly couldn't find enough time.

Well I'm quite optimistic about the coming 3 years. I would very much like to publish a journal paper by the end of first year and much more in the coming three years. I've also not forgotten the remarks of my good friends who took the same path and were trying to stop me from ruining the last bit of my twenties among clusters and professors.

Well, I took the decision to do a PhD by myself because I believe I'm also suffering from closure syndrome. It would kill me to not to finish the last bit of the educational journey. Also in my opinion one should either stop at Bsc or at PhD. So here I'm after 22years of education, is starting the feared journey. If anyone is jobless enough to read this, don't forget to wish me luck.

No comments:

Post a Comment